Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou will be granting on Tuesday October 25, 2016, at 9.30am, 50 cash prizes of €10,000 at Chateau Status in Nicosia to Greek-Cypriots and Turkish-Cypriots as an endeavor to consolidate the island’s bi-communal relations. The Stelios Bi-Communal Award Ceremony will be held in the presence of President Nicos Anastasiades.
Tomorrow, at Nicosia, Sir Stelios will host a dinner for the 430 Greek-Cypriots and Turkish-Cypriots who have expressed their interest for the competition.
The total amount for this year’s awards is greater than ever after Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou will be offering for the first time €500.000, rewarding a total of 50 teams that can win €10.000 each, with a total amount of two million euros been awarded since 2009. All forms of human cooperation between Greek-Cypriots and Turkish-Cypriots are eligible for the grand prize, including business, sciences, arts, sport, NGO work and life!
During the dinner and ceremony, ten teams among the winners will talk about their bi – communal cooperation, when and how they met and their plans for the future.
1. Olga Demetriou & Murat Ilican: Developing of an urban natural vegetable garden. They know each other for 20 years now. Olga and Murat are developing an urban natural vegetable garden in an own plot in Kaimakli.
2. Paul Costeas & Övgü Once: Bi-communal donor campaigns: 2nd year winners. They cooperate since 2002. The two foundations (Karaiskakio and Kemal Saracoglu) organize and run bi-communal donor campaigns.
4. Natalie Neophytou & Nihat Agdac: Bi-communal chamber orchestra: 2nd year applicants. They know each other since 2009. Nihat and Natalie are the directors of the Cyprus Chamber Orchestra. A chamber orchestra consisting all professional artists in Cyprus from both sides.
5. Vangelis Eleftheriou & Gunce Kozal: Obstacle runs across Cyprus countryside: 4th year in row applicants. They know each other since 2012. Vangelis and Gunce will organise a series of obstacle runs in both sides countryside.
6. Antigoni Kyriakidou & Mehmet Yiğiter: Cyprus Accordion Association: Antigoni and Mehmet met two years ago. The Cyprus Accordion Association organise common concerts with Greek Cypriot and Turkish Cypriot accordion players.
10. Antouanetta Katsioloudi & Belgin Demirel: Raising funds for programs for disabled people: They know each other for more than 10 years now. Together, they raise funds for severely disabled people from both communities.
The list of 50 winning bi-communal teams
In no particular order
- Chara Savvidou, Neshe Yashin – Exhibition and Poetry Book in Greek and Turkish
- Harris Kafkarides, Yasar Ersoy – A web page & book which records the 30 collaborating years of Satiriko & Belediye theatre
- Costas Kafkarides, Aliye Ummanel – Joint theatre events
- Natalie Neophytou, Nihat Agdac – Bi-communal chamber orchestra
- Vasilis Htisti, Zafer Biler – Joint restaurant in the North
- Marios Nicolaou, Vasvi Ciftcioglu – Souvenir postcards made with recycled paper
- Yiannis Papadikos, Tibet Nidai – Fish merchants
- Konstantinos Ahniotis, Nahide Merlen – Bi-communal children’s book
- Michael Theodorou, Niyazi Kizilyurek – Turkish translation of GC poet’s Vasilis Michaelides work
- Socrates Stratis, Esra Can Akbil – Bi-communal team of architects/designers for the reconstruction of Famagusta after the solution
- Gaston Neocleous, Tuncer Huseyin Bagiskan – Social, cultural and entertaining activities island wide
- Angeliki Yiassemides, Mehves Beyidoglu Onen – Trilingual primary school
- Sotia Adamidou, Simge Kahvecioglu Zekican – The Cyprus Friendship Program (8 years) an all volunteer peace building project
- Olga Demetriou, Murat Ilican – Developing of an urban natural vegetable garden
- Paul Costeas, Övgü Once – Bi-communal donor campaigns
- Mike Michael, Sukran Ozerdem Michael – Married couple with a son
- Antriani Charalambous, Mehmet Birinci – Couple in life and business partners
- Larkos Larkou, Hatice Ardost – Married couple and musicians
- Vangelis Eleftheriou, Gunce Kozal – Obstacle runs across Cyprus countryside
- Tania Matsouka, Nazo Canitez – Yoga / climbing retreats
- Michalis Pantelides, Mustafa Elmas – Tango teachers / classes
- Nicolas Costantinou, Ayse Karaoglan – Bi-communal concert (8 musicians)
- Panicos Stelikos, Mehmet Gökyiğit – Photography exhibitions island wide
- Antigoni Kyriakidou, Mehmet Yiğiter – Cyprus Accordion Association
- Argyro Toumazou, Irina Tryfon, Ozgul Ezgin – Confrontation through Art project (visual arts)
- Constantinos Kyprianou, Barçın Gökbörü – ‘Music Unites The World’ – Musicians
- Anna Prodromou, Sami Özuslu – Documentary ‘Ghost Airport of the Divided Capital City”
- Elena Christou, Kadir Yorgancıoğlu – Granite / Marble traders
- Sotiris Antoniou, Kutret Balcı – Honey producers
- Andreas Louras, Bozdağ Balikçilik – Fish merchants
- George Pixios Kyriacou, Mehmet Nasiboğlu – Electrical contractors
- Prodromos Prodromou, Mustafa Darbaz – Potato traders
- Zenos Lemis, Minhan Sagiroglou – Lawyers and partners with mutual clients on both sides
- Anna Marangou, Orhan Tolun – Walks and Talks in historical and archaeological sites
- Andreas Christou, Yücem Rasımoğlu – Bi – communal projects (4) in Limassol
- Giorgos Georgiou, Nerkis Musa – Publishing of traditional cooking book in both languages
- Maro Kyprianou, Mehmet Emin Eminoglu – Bicommunal folkloric dance group
- Rita Severis, Gulden Plumer Kuchuk – Bicommunal museum
- Elias Pantelides, Mustafa Balcioglu – ‘Acheon Akti Polythematic Museum’ at Karpasi peninsula
- Stelios Diamantis, Ramadan Gilanlıoğulları – ‘Kilani Village Expatriates Association’ organisation of local events
- Maro Emmanuel, Mehmet Hoca – Activists for the renovation / rebuilding of Ayia Marina village
- Marianna Kokota, Duriye Gokcebag – Greek and Turkish language courses
- Xenia Loizidou, Serdar Atai – Marine Litter Cyprus – Island wide project for the marine environment
- Antouanetta Katsioloudi, Belgin Demirel – Raising funds for programs for disabled people
- Michalis Tsiknakis, Tanur Sertuglu – Married couple
- Constantinos Hadjichristofi, Ceren Ataker Etci – Married couple
- Marilena Evangelou, Cenk Mutluyakalı – Journalists at Politis and Yeniduzen. Both papers are cooperating
- Andreas Splash Kyriacou, Uygar Erdim – ‘GeekOtopos’ – Workspace for creative professionals
- Larrys Phylactou, Hassan Ejkein – Masters Swimmers (veterans), taking part at swimming competitions in Cyprus and abroad
- Antonis Hajiroussos, Özgür Tahiroğlu – Sustainable tourism at Kormakitis village
Online Media Coverage in Greek